If you are either building a new shearing shed or upgrading your existing facilities it is a good idea to research the various options available.
So, in this article, we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both shearing shed modules and custom shearing shed fit-outs to help you establish which is the best fit for your project.
First up – shearing shed modules.
What Are Shearing Shed Modules?
Shearing shed modules are a modular style fit-out option usually consisting of single stands.
Multiple modules can be installed to create a modular shearing board with several stands.
These are common for smaller-scale wool producers that want to utilise existing infrastructure or take advantage of the versatility and cost-effectiveness of modules.
Pictured is a Commander Ag Quip shearing shed module.
Advantages Of Shearing Shed Modules
There are several key advantages of using modules for your shearing facility upgrade.
- Allows you to use your existing shed infrastructure and avoid the expense of a complete new shearing shed build.
- Shorter lead times with quick and easy on-site installation
- Low-cost fit-out option
- Allows you to repurpose the shed in the future or even relocate the modules in the future e.g. move them to a new property
Disadvantages Of Shearing Shed Modules
While there are advantages of shearing shed modules, there are also some potential disadvantages to be aware of.
- Modules may not be as high quality as a custom fit-out (this will vary between suppliers too)
- Limited in the ways they can be customised and tailored to your operational requirements
- Good access to the shed is required to be able to install them
- You may be limited by your existing infrastructure e.g. a column in an inconvenient place
How Much Do Shearing Shed Modules Cost?
Sometimes the advantage or disadvantage of a product or service is the cost.
As we have already mentioned, in the case of shearing shed modules, these are a relatively low-cost option.
For example, you can expect to pay around $20,000 per stand.
You can see how this compares to the cost of a custom fit-out further on in this article, but typically modules are about half the price of custom fit-outs.
Shearing Shed Module Suppliers
Next, we look at the advantages and disadvantages of custom shearing shed fit-outs.
What Are Custom Shearing Shed Fit-Outs?
Custom shearing shed fit-outs, as the names suggest are, shearing shed fit-outs that have been custom designed specifically for your operation.
Usually, a custom shearing shed fit-out will require a new shearing shed build to accommodate the custom design and to ensure the facility is safe and efficient.
A custom shearing shed fit-out is usually the ideal choice for a shearing shed fit-out, but factors like budget and operational requirements can sometimes mean shearing shed modules are the better fit.
Advantages Of Custom Shearing Shed Fit Outs
There are a lot of advantages to be had with a custom shearing shed fit-out, the main one being the fact that it is custom. This ensures factors like sheep flow and operator safety are considered and the result is tailored to your operational requirements.
Other advantages include:
- Highest quality fit-out option (this will vary between suppliers)
- Improves your property value
- Helps attract and retain reliable shearing teams, and helps establish your reputation as an employer of choice
- Improves efficiency and operator safety
- Ideal for large wool-growing operations with high-traffic sheds
Disadvantages Of Custom Shearing Shed Fit Outs
While the advantage of custom shearing shed fit-outs are impressive, there are some potential disadvantages to consider.
One of the main disadvantages is probably the cost. A custom fit-out is a premium product with high-quality materials and an extensive design stage – and you do have to pay for it.
Some other disadvantages may be:
- The fit-out is permanent and cannot be easily moved
- Not a versatile investment, although if you are building a new shearing shed it is a good idea to upsize the wool room so that it can be used as a storage area. You could also incorporate a yard cover in the design.
How Much Do Custom Shearing Shed Fit-Outs Cost?
Custom shearing shed fit-outs can cost around $40,000 per stand.
This can vary between suppliers though, as some use higher quality products than others. Or they may include a more involved design consultation.
Custom Shearing Shed Fit Out Suppliers
The Verdict – Which Is Best?
Like most things, the “best” fit-out option for your shearing shed is subjective.
The best option for your shearing shed project will likely depend on a number of factors including:
- Available existing infrastructure
- Current requirements
- Future plans
For example, if you are working to a strict budget, have the available shed infrastructure and want the versatility of converting the shed back to storage in the future, then shearing shed modules would be ideal.
On the other hand, if you are shearing a large number of sheep every year and need to attract reliable labour or if you are looking at the project as an investment that will add value to your enterprise and land, then a new shearing shed build and custom shearing shed fit out is an excellent choice.
It isn’t always that straightforward forward though!
So, we suggest reviewing the advantages and disadvantages of each option and whether they align with your project requirements.
That’s a wrap on shearing shed modules versus custom shearing shed fit-out! We hope this has helped you with your project planning.
Below you will find some project examples and more resources to assist you with your shearing shed build or upgrade. Our building consultants are also always happy to discuss your project with you.
Shearing Shed Project Ideas (Gallery)
- How Much Does It Cost To Cover Sheep Yards?
- How Much Does It Cost To Build A Shearing Shed?
- Raised Board Shearing Sheds: Pros, Cons & Prices
- Featured Project – 24 Metre Span Shearing Shed Complex
- 9 Covered Sheep Yard Projects To Inspire Yours
For more articles and resources, browse the Learning Hub.
Or for a price on a new shearing shed build, whether it has a custom fit out or incorporates shearing modules, simply submit a REQUEST A QUOTE form, or give us a call on 1800 687 888. We would be happy to help you!